The private school affidavit for 2004-05 is now available for online filing.
Please read ALL of the following information carefully. Many private school affidavits were not accepted by the CDE last year because schools failed to complete all steps of the process.
Procedure for filing the affidavit for 2004-2005
What if my school is new, or didn't file a PSA in 2003-2004?
- Access the appropriate CDE Private School Affidavit web page.
- After reading the information, select "Existing school with six or more students."
- Following the directions at the top of the webpage, either select the first letter of your school name or enter a portion of your school name in the search field.
- Locate your school on the list and compare the CDS code and address to confirm that you have located your school. Then, select "Fill out affidavit for this school."
- Verify the school information and enter your school's password. Each school that successfully filed an affidavit last year was assigned a password. The California Department of Education recently mailed letters to all such schools in which filing instructions and passwords were provided. Please refer to this letter to access your school's password. Or, if you did not receive a letter from the CDE, email Teresa Cantrell and apprise her of your situation.
- Complete the affidavit. Note that an "*" denotes fields that are required to submit the form.
- After you have completed and reviewed your form, select "submit form."
- You will now see the confirmation pages. Print two copies of these pages. If you notice errors on your confirmation pages, correct them in ink. Retain one copy for your records and sign and mail the second copy to the address listed at the bottom of the last confirmation page.
Please submit all the confirmation pages (usually three or four pages), not just the signature page. Schools will have met their obligation to file an online affidavit only when the data has been submitted online and the signed confirmation pages are mailed to and received by the Department of Education.
If your school is new, or didn't file a PSA last year, you can complete the PSA online as a new school. Check the CDE's online affidavit information page for further information.
What if a school doesn't have access to the internet?
Schools without internet access should request a paper affidavit in writing. Requests should be submitted ASAP to the following address:
Must my school file an affidavit?
California Department of Education
Elementary Education Office
School Improvement Division
1430 N Street, Fourth Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
Attention: Private School Affidavit Request
Private schools in the state of California are required by law to file a Private School Affidavit (PSA) with the State Superintendent of Public Instruction between October 1 and October 15 each year. (California Education Code Section 33190)
Filing the affidavit in a timely manner is critical.
What if I need more information?
- The PSA establishes your school's existence in the eyes of the state;
- The PSA is necessary to legally exempt your school's students from fulfilling the compulsory attendance requirement in a public (government) school (California Education Code Section 48222);
- The PSA makes your (non-profit) school's students and staff eligible to participate in and benefit from various state and federal programs and services. While actual participation in these programs is voluntary, the option to participate does not exist if a PSA has not been filed;
- Reporting your schools' enrollment through the filing of the PSA increases benefits available to private school students and staff through various tax-supported programs;
- The law requires the filing of a PSA.
If you have additional questions regarding the completion and submittal of private school affidavits: