2015-16 California Nominees for the National Green Ribbon School Designation
• Los Angeles Unified School District, Los Angeles County
• Manhattan Beach Unified School District, Los Angeles County
• San Francisco Unified School District, San Francisco County
• Bay Farm School, Alameda, Alameda County
• Bishop O’Dowd High School (private), Oakland, Alameda County
Private Schools Recognized as 2015-16 California Green Ribbon Schools
• Maple Village Waldorf School, Long Beach
• Pacific Ridge School, Carlsbad
• The Thacher School, Ojai
• Woodside Priory School, Portola Valley
• The Grauer School, Encinitas
• Muse School, Calabasas
• Turning Point School, Culver City
Learn additional information about the national nominees, and see the public schools and school districts that were recognized at the state level by viewing this California Department of Education News Release.
Green Ribbon Schools (GRS) is a national program conducted under the auspices of the U.S. Department of Education for the purpose of recognizing schools (public and private), school districts, and institutes of higher education for excellence in resource efficiency, health and wellness, and environmental and sustainability education.
Each year, schools throughout the nation make application for the national GRS designation through state departments of education. After a careful evaluation of all applications, a state may nominate up to four public entities, and one private school for the conferral of National Green Ribbon School status by the USDE.
In California, the private school application process is administered by CAPSO, and we are delighted that Dr. Paul Chapman of Inverness Associates has, once again, graciously volunteered to serve as chairperson of our selection committee.
Applicant schools (both public and private) that are not nominated for receipt of the national designation, but achieve evaluation scores exceeding various levels are recognized as California Green Ribbon Schools, and are honored at an awards program that has, typically, taken place on Earth Day.